Kip's Commentary

80% Attitude by Volume. P.S. All original comentary and content Copyright 2005, 2006 :P

Name:
Location: Somewhere, North Carolina, United States

“Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot.” ~ D.H. Lawrence

Friday, April 15, 2005

"And Remember Friday is Hawaiian Shirt Day…"

From the best movie ever for cube dwellers: Office Space.

Just Read: The Gun Seller

Hugh Laurie is not only a great actor on Fox’s Medical Drama “House”, he not only is a hugely famous British comedian (and a motorcycle enthusiast), he’s an author. In 1996 he published “The Gun Seller” a story in the tradition of James Bond-ish gritty thrillers.

Now, I’m not a big reader of thrillers. I’ve read a couple of the Tom Clancy’s. I really enjoyed Hunt For Red October, but despite the satisfyingly complex plots, the rest of them (Sum of All Fears, Cardinal of the Kremlin, Rainbow Six) left me rather flat. I loved the film of Clear and Present Danger but couldn’t make it through the book. Just couldn’t stay interested. I think it’s the characters. They just boring; proof positive that an exciting life does not necessarily mean an interesting person. It’s hard to care what happens to them. No one has a sense of humor, which would both engage the audience in their character more and give us a break. And Clancy REALLY doesn’t know how to write women.

However, I did inherit a love of Mickey Spillane from my Dad, and the dark heroes of noir murder mysteries do translate well into the dark heroes of thrillers. That combined with Laurie’s background, meant that at least The Gun Seller promised to be a chuckle.

Actually, it’s quite good. It’s surprisingly really good. The main character looks like a typical down and out mercenary type with a heart of gold in over his head, but his observations, honesty and humor really draw you in. It’s a good story too. The plot is about one step shy of too complex, so you really have to pay attention, but the brutal honesty and humor of the character gives the rather fantastic chain of events and the drama they create a rather realistic feeling, as if the main character were turning to us every once in a while and saying, "I can't belive this is really happening, can you?". The supporting players are colorful and interesting and it’s really one hell of a ride well punctuated by British’s humor: pithy observations, dry witticisms and occasional shades (just shades) of surreal Monty-Pythonesque randomness that will have you laughing out loud while the plot keeps you turning the pages.

O’Neal Still hadn’t moved.

“But the people I really feel sorry for in all of this,” I said, “besides the Woolfs, obviously, is anyone who thinks that they belong to the first group, not illegal, but all the time have been aiding, abetting and otherwise lending succor to the second group, very illegal, without even knowing it. Anyone in that position, I would say, has definitely got the skunk by the tail.”

He was looking over my shoulder now. For the first time since I met him, I couldn’t tell what he was thinking.

“Well, that’s it,” I said. “Personally, I thought is was a wonderful routine, but now over to Judith and the opinions of the judges.”

But he still didn’t answer. So I turned and followed his gaze towards the entrance to the club, where one of the doorman stood, pointing at out table. I saw him nod and step back, and the lean, powerful figure of Barnes, Russel P., strode into the room and headed towards us.

I shot them both dead there and then, and caught the next plane to Canada, where I married a woman named Mary-Beth and started up a successful pottery business.

At least, that’s what I should have done.


Great stuff. I’m going to ship it off to my Dad, he’d get a kick out of it.

Oh, and there lots of girls for the guys out there. The requisite Bond 3: the nice plucky gal, the Femme Fatale and the disposable lackey. *chuckle*

Next Friday is Earth Day

Here are some little ideas if you want to pitch in:

~If you don’t normally recycle, try keeping your soda cans, water bottles, glass and newspapers of next week and recycle them on Friday or Saturday.

~Make sure you turn off every light and appliance that you are not currently using.

~Take public transportation or ride a bike for the day.

~Go to a local farmers market for locally grown produce.

~Spend a day vegetarian. (Pizza is a perfectly vegetarian meal.)

~Plant a tree or donate to a Tree Planting Organization.

~Participate in a beach or park clean up or pick up the litter in your neighborhood (especially of your storm drains empty directly into the ocean!).

Onto Texas

Best of luck to the 8, 6 and 38 teams this weekend!